Thursday, March 14, 2013

Episode IV - McCray's (ATL)


The Reuben Ranger is back in Atlanta for a visit to my neighborhood pub McCray's West Village Tavern.  This place is right across the street from my apartment has been good to me since I moved to town. 

Classic Reuben
"Corned beef, sauerkraut and Swiss cheese with thousand island dressing on toasted marble rye"

Appearance - (4.6/5.0)
As always it starts with the bread and this rye was great. I don't know how you marble rye but this one looked almost too good. It made me dizzy just looking at it. The fries also did a nice job of framing the sandwich. The poor pickle with kinda squashed down there...




Quality of Ingredients - (4.1/5.0)
The bread was nice but not quite as toasted as I like it. The sauerkraut was excellent, probably the best on this blog so far. The corned beef just was not tender enough for me.  The Swiss was not bad but there was not enough of it and along the same lines, they were kind of shy with the dressing.

Price - (3.9/5.0)
We like to see Reubens under $10 on this blog but the circumstances always matter. This one was $9.95. That is not cheap. To break into the 4s on price a not cheap sandwich must be accompanied by something else special. A pub OTP during the week does not count.

Je Ne Sais Quoi - (4.1/5.0)
The rye really did put me in a trance. Look at it. I don't really like pickles but I could not help but feel sorry for it. I think that is keeping the JNSQ score from climbing higher on the scale.

Taste - (8.5/10.0)
This is a quality sandwich. It would say it met my expectations but did not blow my socks off. The sum of the parts was not greater than the whole. Each individual part was nice and the fries were great as well.


Overall - (25.2/30.0)
I liked it. It is right next door and I know I will be ordering it again. 
Here is a picture of my mom trying it.








McCray's West Village Tavern on Urbanspoon McCray's West Village Tavern

No comments:

Post a Comment